Saturday, February 14, 2009

A new favorite - not my listing!

As promised, when I see a property that I think is really great, I will include it here. These are NOT my listings; they're properties that I've seen while out screening for my own clients.

Recently, I saw an estate in Lynnwood that's just gorgeous. I will say up front that it needs extensive remodelling, but with such beautiful bones, it would be worth it. The house is set back in a little enclave of 5 or 6 homes - no subdivision here. A lovely circular driveway sweeps up to the front, where a colonnade of brick archways leads to the front door. There is a sense of arrival upon stepping through the front door. The main room has a masterful use of light and volume, with vaulted ceilings, multi-paned floor to ceiling windows, a massive central fireplace and changes in floor level that define the differently used spaces. A well-designed kitchen space (again great bones, needs remodelling) sits between the formal dining room and a family room space. I wasn't surprised to find out that the late owner had been an architect who had designed the home himself. Few houses built in 1974 (or perhaps any other year) boast such an intelligent floorplan and site usage. I could go on about this house, but I won't. Suffice it to say that a buyer with $700k or so and the stomach for a remodelling project could find themselves with a home that they never want to leave.

No comments: